Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Weekend!

My family and I don't celebrate Halloween.  I have two daughters and they did go to a candy hunt at church but it is to let them have some candy on a day other than Halloween.  The month of October is hard for them.  The whole school curriculum is built to support skeletons, witches, ghosts, and goblins so my kids feel out of place.  We want to do as God commands to "Worship the Lord and serve him only."  We don't want one moment of our lives to be taken away from that goal if possible. Standing out is part of our worship.  Also we believe that worship is anything you spend your time obsessively thinking about and kids do get pretty obsessive when it comes to Halloween.

I continuously wonder why can't kids learn about harvest during this time with Halloween not being the focut of October.  How can we say we want healthy children if their whole focus is how much candy they are going to get and what costume they are going to wear all month long.  Kids also need to know where their food really comes from and why we should be thankful for the work of farmers.  Thus we don't celebrate Halloween but we do want to show the love of God to everyone and we do not judge those who believe in God but choose to celebrate Halloween anyway.  That is their choice.  It is amazing how our choice not to celebrate Halloween becomes misconstrued by a sometimes well-meaning but misguided world.  I begin to feel like the world believes I'm not a good mother because I "take Halloween away" from my children. Well I hope you enjoy the card today and don't mind my banter.  Have a wonderfully blessed weekend.





Here is an extra picture of a makeover card I did for my coworker.  She liked the previous Feliz Cumpleanos card for her friend Lidia but her coworkers didn't like it a lot.  They are a little younger so I can understand.  I made this card for them, she took the first card and gave it from her alone.  Hope you enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Album

Shimmerz

Stylish Blog Award.

Stylish Blog Award.

Cute Bear Award

Cute Bear Award

Disney Award

Disney Award

Cuttlebug Challenge